Friday, July 11, 2008

Tips for sci-fi, fantasy, and speculative fiction writers from Kelly Link

If you're a fiction writer who dabbles in sci-fi, fantasy, or the speculative thing, check out this interview with Kelly Link (author of one of my favorite books, Stranger Things Happen) - she talks about her work at the low-res MFA program at Stonecoast, her teaching gig at the Clarion Workshop in San Diego (with Neil Gaiman, fellow teacher) and general publishing stuff here:
http://www.adventuresinscifipublishing.com/2008/07/aisfp-54-kelly-link-and-lou-anders/
Oh yeah, you have to get about 12 minutes in to get to her part of the interview.
Anyway, makes me wish I wrote fiction instead of poetry! I would sign up for that Clarion deal in a heartbeat - and maybe even sign up for another MFA!
PS Kelly Link has a new Young Adult book, Pretty Monsters, due out in October. I've been recommending her other two books (chock full of sex and violence) to teens, so I'm glad to have something on the "safer" side to recommend.

PS Buffy and Fray crossover comics going on now! So get to your comic shop!

1 comment:

Felicity said...

Didn't know that Stonecoast separates "fiction" and "pop fiction"...wonder how long they've done that for? Anyway, that would kind of give me the heebie-jeebies. I wouldn't know which to pick, and my thesis kind of falls right between the cracks. I felt like I had a lot of freedom in our program to forge my own way.