Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Female Comic Book Superhero Poetry

Well, I've been having a lot of fun (and a little stress) putting together my paper and presentation for WonderCon's Comic Arts Conference coming up on April 2-4 in San Francisco. I went back to some of my favorite poets from college (Denise Duhamel and Lucille Clifton) and put out a call for newer poets to send me work (Wonder Woman and Buffy figure predominantly in these poems, it seems.) I hope to find even more poems before I go up. I'll also be using some poems from my own book, Becoming the Villainess, including poems about Buffy, Lara Croft, and others. I'm presenting first thing on Sunday at noon-ish - hope to see you there!
I'm of course excited to meet The Ink-Stained Amazon's Jennifer K Stuller whose new book I just finished (really fun reading!) and the other great folks - Peter S. Beagle, author of one of my favorite childhood books, The Last Unicorn, Gail Simone, comic author heroine, and the folks at one of my fave current shows, Chuck. And of course, I'm thinking of participating in the Buffy Musical Episode singalong at the end. I mean, what could be more fun than a weekend of full-on geekiness? I'm so thankful that I've been included in such a great conference.
Wish me luck and leave me comments about your favorite superhero poems!

2 comments:

Jennifer K. Stuller said...

I'm super excited too! WonderCon is always a great networking and learning experience for me. Plus, the convention itself is a blast - AND it's in my hometown. The best City in the world. The City by the Bay. :-)

Susan said...

Best wishes for a wonderful Wonder-Con conference!

Once More With Feeling is one of my favorite Buffy episodes... How can that possibly be geeky? Well, okay...maybe it's a little geeky, but only in a super-cool way.