Sunday, June 15, 2008

Links between Mythology and Comic Books: Discuss

Dear Readers,
I'm teaching a creative writing class next week, and one of the main topics is the connection between ancient mythologies (Biblical, Greek, Norse, Japanese...) and comic books, Manga, and graphic novels.
So, I've got some examples (Superman was inspired by stories of Sampson and Hercules, Wonder Woman and her mother, Hippolyta, queen of the Amazons, Miyazaki's Nausicca which was inspired by both the character Nausicaa in The Odyssey and the Japanese folk tale, "The Princess who Loved Insects...)
But I'd love to hear about more! Were the X-Men inspired by tales of demi-Gods? What about Batman and the tradition of the samurai? Tell me your favorite (or most obscure) mythology to comic book connections!

3 comments:

Jennifer K. Stuller said...

I'm sure you already know this, but Superman is influenced by stories about the Golem--see Michael Chabon's "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" as well as Danny Fingeroth's "Disguised As Clark Kent: Jews, Comics, And the Creation of the Superhero" for more.

There is also a cool book by Simcha Weinstein called "Up, Up, and Oy Vey!: How Jewish History, Culture, and Values Shaped the Comic Book Superhero"

Dr. Jennifer Dowling at the University of Sydney has done work on Jewish superheroines (and she's Awesome!)

I'd also totally include one my favorite superheroes--Promethea--who is influenced by no less than everything.

I have a pdf attachment of a study on her on my website:
http://www.ink-stainedamazon.com/conf_cci06.html

I hope these help--The class sounds fun!!!

Supervillainess said...

Thanks Jennifer - I am just now reading "The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay" (don't know how I managed not to read it before this) and I'll check out your other references - they sound really interesting - and thanks for the pdf link on Promethea!

Jennifer K. Stuller said...

My pleasure. Thank YOU for providing me with an opportunity to share my love of all things Geek!

I read Kavalier and Clay around the same time I read "Men of Tomorrow: Geeks, Gangsters and the Birth of the American Comic Book" which was a nice combination of historic and "fictional" narratives. Chabon really did his research.